Full width home advertisement

News

Fashion

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Entertainment

My Love For Wizkid And The Influence Nigerian Music Has Got On Me - Jidenna (Mr. Classic Man)

My Love For Wizkid And The Influence Nigerian Music Has Got On Me - Jidenna (Mr. Classic Man)

Nigerian-American recording artist, Jidenna Theodore Mobisson sat down with Billboard briefly following his performance to discuss what it means to be a “Classic Man,” and how he has been impacted by Nigerian music.

Jidenna admits his love for the “Ojuelegba” singer, Wizkid who is definitely gaining ground in the international scene.

Read excerpt from his discussion.

Why do you think the idea of a “classic man”  has resonated with people so much?

I think that we’re at a time where some men feel undervalued, across races and across religions. Their masculinity is being drained – particularly in the African American community, we feel devalued by our nation sometimes. “Classic Man” really speaks about the power of being a man.

Yes, it’s still a man’s world, unfortunately, and we have a long way to go in this country and all countries – but there’s something to be said for just feeling the spirit of a true man, and I think that’s what “Classic Man” speaks to.

There’s, of course, the fashion element, but I just think it’s a refreshing time for fashion, where we’re recycling a lot of different generations. Men are wearing skirts, men are wearing zippered t-shirts, leather straps, and all types of things, and I wanted to be a part of this transitional phase that we’re in fashion. I thought the suit was something that would suit me.

What kind of influence do you feel like African music has on your work?

Oh, it’s profound. Even if the production doesn’t feel African, the vocal delivery – singing through your nose. Specifically, Highlife music from Nigeria. That was the first music I ever heard as a child. So singing through my nose is something I do often, and that’s directly rooted in my heritage.

At large, I feel like we’re entering into a time when hip-hop music in the states, and pop and hiplife and all types of genres across the African continent are emerging, in general. I think they’ll be even more influential as I continue.

Which Nigerian artists do you think are really blowing up right now?
Wizkid, of course, in the U.K. – his sound is undeniable. I love his voice, I love his production team. I was just hanging out with them recently. I love his catalog already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

Colorlib